When You Owe the CRA Money


Debts the Canada Revenue Agency collects The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) collects amounts owing such as: individual income tax payroll deductions GST/HST remittances corporation income tax customs, excise, and other levies benefit overpayments including: Canada child benefit GST/HST credit The CRA also collects the following amounts owed for other government programs: defaulted Canada Student

When You Owe the CRA Money2021-03-25T12:19:15-08:00

Tips to Avoid CRA Adjustments


Here are some tips from the Canada Revenue Agency’s review programs. Following these tips should help reduce the number of adjustments the CRA needs to make to returns each year. No reply received If you do not provide the information requested within the timeframe indicated on the letter, the CRA will deny or modify

Tips to Avoid CRA Adjustments2021-03-25T12:32:38-08:00

Income Tax Being Reviewed? Do Not Worry.


An income tax review is easier than you think!  Since Canada's tax system is based on self-assessment, these reviews help confirm that income amounts, deductions, and credits are reported correctly, and can be properly supported. It is OK. If you receive a letter from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) telling you that your income tax return

Income Tax Being Reviewed? Do Not Worry.2020-03-16T05:17:18-08:00

Cannot Pay Your Balance Owing?


What you can do if you cannot pay your balance owing? Even if you cannot pay all of your balance owing right away, file your return by the filing due date. So you can avoid a late-filing penalty. If you cannot pay your balance owing on or before April 30, 2018, we may accept a payment

Cannot Pay Your Balance Owing?2020-05-01T04:58:16-08:00

Claiming the Volunteer Firefighters’ or Search and Rescue Volunteers’ Amounts


You can claim $3,000 for the volunteer firefighters' amount (VFA) or the search and rescue volunteers' amount (SRVA), but not both, if you meet the following conditions: you were a volunteer firefighter or a search and rescue volunteer during the year; and you completed at least 200 hours of eligible volunteer firefighting services or eligible search and

Claiming the Volunteer Firefighters’ or Search and Rescue Volunteers’ Amounts2020-05-01T05:11:05-08:00

Interest and Penalties on Your Personal Income Tax


Interest If you have a balance owing for 2017, the Canada Revenue Agency charges compound daily interest starting May 1, 2018, on any unpaid amounts owing for 2017. This includes any balance owing if we reassess your return. In addition, the CRA will charge you interest on the penalties starting the day after your return is due.

Interest and Penalties on Your Personal Income Tax2020-06-03T05:46:46-08:00
Go to Top